AAEON single board computers (including UPS-P4-A10-08128) have become an indispensable element of applications requiring an efficient and compact device with x86 architecture other than an industrial computer.
Areas of application
The UPS-P4-A10-08128 unit performs great in advanced systems, wherever the high computing power offered by small-sized devices is needed. Such requirements are increasingly being applied to applications from the industrial automation segment. Also Internet of Things (IoT) devices that are not end nodes, such as e.g. data flow control and conversion network gateways, are built using single board computers. Computer UPS-P4-A10-08128 (Up Square, UP2) will work well in this role. Another area of application involve real-time image analysis and processing. The UP2 single board computer can cooperate with an mPCI-e card containing system that is part of a neural network (e.g. the Intel® Movidius® MyriadTM graphic processor). In such situation, its computing power increases significantly, enabling data analysis and processing directly at edge node nodes (edge computing). Thanks to this, processing time is shortened and costs associated with data transfer as well as servicing and leasing of computing centers are minimized. In this way, a single board computer becomes a key part of the item detection system (e.g. products of a specific brand in a vending machine or license plates for cars entering a guarded parking lot), identification of persons (e.g., sex and age of people visiting the store at a given time of day). In the end, it can become a control unit in an autonomous vehicle that analyzes and processes camera images. The number of applications is limited only by the ingenuity of the designer.
Single board computers are often used in small lot production, where it is required to reduce the design time until the product is released on the market. In addition, the cooperation with Linux and Windows operating systems makes the creation of electronic devices easier for programmers who, having at their disposal a large number of libraries and drivers present in the operating system itself, do not need to engage into the issues concerning the device’s hardware layer.
An important advantage of a single board computer are its small dimensions, which translates into the size of the final device.
UPS-P4-A10-08128 computer works in a wide temperature range, and flash and operational memory in the form of integrated circuits is resistant to shocks and vibrations.
An important advantage is also low power consumption. It translates not only to lower energy demand, but also to greater equipment durability and reliability.
Thanks to the interfaces mounted on the board, it is possible to exchange data with external devices.
The AAEON UPS-P4-A10-08128 single board computer will be available at least until 2024. The device is CE/FCC Class A certified.
– quad-core Intel® Pentium™ N4200 x86-64 processor clocked at 2.5GHz,
– Intel® Gen 9 HD graphics card with support for video encoding in HEVC4, H.264, VP8 formats, in 4K resolution,
– built-in 8GB of RAM and 128GB of Flash memory,
– built-in Altera MAX10 FPGA,
– power supply DC 5V@6A,
– working temperature 0-60°C,
– weight 0,26kg,
– dimensions 85,6x90mm,
Supported interfaces and connector types
UP2 supports communication interfaces:
– Ethernet x2,
– USB 2.0,
– USB 3.0,
It is equipped with a 40-pin extension connector (compatible with Raspberry PI), DP 1.2, HDMI 1.4, RJ45 magnetically shielded x2, SATA, USB A x3, USB B micro and mPCI-e.
Standard interface for industrial SPE applications
IEC standards committee SC 48B for connection technology publishes IEC 63171-6, thus establishing the standard interface for industrial SPE applications and providing users with investment security.
On January 23, 2020 the international standard for Single Pair Ethernet interfaces in industrial applications was published with IEC 63171-6. The editor is the IEC committee SC 48B copper connectors. The mating face standard IEC 63171-6 T1 Industrial Style was the first standard submitted by HARTING to SC 48B for a Single Pair Ethernet mating face as early as 2016. “This early initiative is now paying off and 2020 users finally have a reliable investment basis for future-proof IIoT networks based on Single Pair Ethernet”, explains Ralf Klein, Managing Director of HARTING Electronics.
IEC 63171-6 (Industrial Style) is a complete standard document with all necessary specifications and test sequences, which is incorporated into current SPE cabling standards of the ISO/IEC 11801-x series of standards for structured cabling. The implementation of SPE in the ISO/IEC 11801 documents is very important because only in this standard, the cabling channels are described with all necessary parameters (length, number of connections, bandwidth and the complete set of transmission parameters including NEXT, FEXT, shielding properties etc.) with relation to the environment – MICE and can therefore be metrologically verified after installation. This connection of component standards to connectors and cables provides all users of SPE with clear guidelines for the construction and testing of appropriate transmission links.
The use of cabling components other than those described in ISO/IEC 11801-3 Amd.1, for example, is possible in principle, but then they no longer conform to the standard and carry the risk of incompatibility and loss of function. For this reason, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25/WG 3 and TIA TR-42 launched international selection processes at the beginning of 2018 to define uniform interfaces. These two selection processes were co-initiated by IEEE 802.3, which requested a recommendation for a SPE Media Depended Interface (MDI) from ISO/IEC and TIA. More than 20 national expert committees participated in this selection process. As a result of this selection process, a mating face for industrial applications has become generally accepted:
– For industrial and industry-related applications (M2I2C2E2 and M3I3C3E3) the mating face according to IEC 63171-6, which is based on the proposal of HARTING T1 Industrial.
The selection process for TIA TR-42 has confirmed the results of ISO/IEC; there is thus a high level of global agreement on the SPE interfaces. These selected mating faces will now be incorporated into the respective international cabling standards. IEEE802.3 has also defined this SPE interface in the IEEE802.3cg as a recommended Media Dependent Interface (MDI).
Consistent standardization pays off. With IEC 63171-6, the last building block for a consistently standardized SPE infrastructure has now been set. IEC 63171-6, IEEE 802.3cg, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25/WG 3 and TIA TR-42 stand for the T1 Industrial Style as industrial SPE interface.
The SPE Industrial Partner Network, founded in 2019 and made up of 17 well-known technology leaders to date, is fully committed to the IEC 63171-6 standard and offers the emerging Single Pair Ethernet user group a broad investment basis for IIoT networks based on SPE.
Hexagon announces changes to management team
Hexagon AB, a global leader in sensor, software and autonomous solutions, today announced the following organisational changes, effective 1 February 2020.
Juergen Dold will assume a new senior leadership role managing Hexagon’s Geosystems, Geospatial, and Safety & Infrastructure divisions.
- In this role Dold will be responsible for leading the strategy of all three businesses, to deliver end-to-end solutions for Hexagon’s customers within markets such as “Smart Cities, Smart Mines and Smart Infrastructure”.
- Thomas Harring, who currently serves as Chief Operating Officer (COO)/Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for Hexagon’s Geosystems division, will succeed Dold as President of the Geosystems division.
- Harring, Steven Cost (President, Safety and Infrastructure division), and Mladen Stojic (President, Geospatial division) will report to Dold.
Norbert Hanke will serve as COO, a new position within Hexagon.
- As COO, Hanke will be responsible for driving operational excellence across all divisions and regions as well as overseeing Hexagon’s IT and HR functions and Ventures organization – a business incubator with the goal of creating new business models, revenue streams, and value creation.
- Paolo Guglielmini will succeed Hanke as President of the Manufacturing Intelligence division. Guglielmini joined Hexagon in 2010 and has been overseeing Hexagon’s Smart Factory design & engineering portfolio.
Claudio Simao, who has served in his current position since 2015 and worked with Hexagon since 2002, will retire as Hexagon’s Chief Technology Officer (CTO). Simao will serve as an advisor to the CEO.
- Burkhard Boeckem, currently CTO of Hexagon’s Geosystems division, will succeed Simao as CTO of Hexagon to drive innovation and the continued development of Hexagon’s autonomous technology vision. Boeckem is widely recognized as an innovation leader and has launched multiple award-winning digital solutions serving a broad array of industries and customers.
A new lease of life for your STUDER machine with a machine overhaul
FRITZ STUDER AG, Motion Meeting Press Event
Anything that works as hard as a cylindrical grinding machine will wear out. This is particularly obvious in the geometry and precision. STUDER doesn’t just support the customer in the purchase of new machines, but can also offer a complete machine overhaul A machine overhaul at STUDER makes an old machine into one that is as good as new; in other words, a machine that has the same tolerances as when it was first delivered.
STUDER has been carrying out machine overhauls for 20 years. Every day, more than 25 employees are involved in giving machines and assemblies a new lease of life. In the supreme discipline of machine overhauls, over 400 machines have been completely overhauled to date. Countless assemblies have also been overhauled. Irrespective of whether machine or assembly, they all have one thing in common: An overhaul at STUDER is carried out by the original manufacturer with its unique knowledge and expertise, and according to the same quality standards as for new machines. At the end the customer gets a product whose quality and precision are comparable to that of a new machine.
Trusted precision and quality
A machine overhaul fully restores the original precision and quality and verifies this by means of a certificate. Changing requirements such as reconfigurations, automation or even digitalization can also be implemented in conjunction with the overhaul.
Thanks to the STUDER quality, the customer receives a new one-year warranty on the overhaul. This also includes ensuring parts availability again. As the machine is ultimately restored to the original condition, an overhaul provides the customer with an outstanding price/performance ratio compared to the former purchase price. STUDER can provide the customer with a specific loan machine for the duration of the machine overhaul if required.
Machine overhaul at a glance
- Machine base: Completely overhauled, ribbed guideways milled, recast and repainted.
- Control cabinet: Replacement of wear parts in the electric cabinet.
- Pneumatics: New valves, hoses and filters.
- Hydraulics: New hydraulic and lubricating system, all new valves and hoses.
- Workhead: Completely overhauled.
- Wheelhead: Completely overhauled.
- Tailstock: Completely overhauled.
- Axes: Tables as new, installation of new recirculating ball screw and bearings.
- Component casings: Sand-blasted, repainted, color according to STUDER design or customer requirement.
- Control system: Existing control system is retained.
- Delivery: Always with precise measurement of new machine tolerance including test certificates.
- Loan machine: We can provide a loan machine on request.
- Renewed original CE certificate
Gear drives2 years ago
Klingelnberg at control 2018: Tactile and optical measurement on one machine
Industrial Hardware and Machine Parts2 years ago
ABB and Formula E partner to write the future of e-mobility
Industrial Hardware and Machine Parts3 years ago
The necessity of bolted flange connection training
Industrial Hardware and Machine Parts2 years ago
Rexnord adds to its Autogard Torque Limiters with the XG Series
Motors3 years ago
New generation of hollow shaft motors
Motors2 years ago
Get a first-class ticket to productivity
Motors3 years ago
ZF Technology on the Winners’ Podium of the Dakar Rally 2017
Motion control2 years ago
Rexnord to Acquire Centa Power Transmission